


I had a successful Elk hunt this year with my Muzzleloader. I drew a Cow Elk tag where I have had 100% success each year I landed it. I have successfully taken 4 elk on the 4 cow elk tags I have drawn so I was excited with the good odds. I went into the mountains one evening after work. It had been raining most of the day, but I had a feeling that I would be able to hear the Bulls Bugleing. I left my Truck and walked to a place we call "The Promise Land". I walked about a quarter mile and heard the sound I was looking for. I knew if I could hear the Bulls screaming, I had a pretty good chance of finding some Cow elk with him.
As I followed the beautiful sound, I made sure the wind was in my favor. Once over the mountain side, I had aboud 15 cow elk within 100 yards of me. I picked a large Cow Elk standing broadside at 75 yards and pulled the trigger.
I was excited to have successfully completed the first two tasks of #1 finding the elk and #2 taking it to the ground. My excitement was short lived when I came to the tough realization that I was alone, had a 600 pound animal on the ground, only had 1 hour of light, I was half a mile from the road and it could start raining on me again. It was time for my final two tasks of cutting up all the meat into the night and then packing out the elk meat alone. It was quite the ordeal but I finally cut out all the meat, packed it out and put the meat safely in the coolers. I thank my Father in Heaven for his help with the hunt and gift of great elk steaks for the next year. There isn't a more majestic animal out there than an Elk.
October 2023
1 month ago







0 comments:
Post a Comment