So Believe it or Not, this is what happened to me this past Saturday on the Opening of the Archery Elk/Deer Hunt:
I started Hunting at 4am. I snuck through the woods in the dark to the “Dry Pond” where I have put my Ground Blind and a Motion Camera. I was still sitting patiently at 3:45PM when I saw a 3 PT Bull Elk run by at full speed. He had been scared off by something. 5 Minutes later, I was still sitting in this ground blind and I heard something out the left of my window. I peeked out and there was an Ear. I initially thought it was something else, so I looked again and saw the Face of a Black Bear 3 yards away. I hurried and grabbed my bow and saw my life flash before my eyes, imagining fighting with a bear (or just getting mauled by it). I didn't know whether to sit still and hope he doesn't maul me to death. Or if I should scream/yell and try and scare it off, which might scare him and he’ll attack me. It's usually Fight or Flight with them. Either way, it could attack me. So I sat still and got ready to fight the bear! I started to pull back my bow to shoot him, and looked again to see where the bear was. He had disappeared. My Heart stopped and this is when I got really scared. I didn’t know where he went. I felt basically like sitting prey for him in a hamster cage. I imagined him popping up and swiping my head, arm or leg off. I hurried and jumped out the front window of the Blind. I didn't want to get swiped by him from behind the blind and didn’t want to be caught off guard. I jumped out ready to put up a fight with an arrow, then go hand to hand combat with him like McGiver. When I jumped out of the Ground Blind, I saw him running back on the same trail he came. (Scardie Cat) He probably smelled me and got really scared, so he ran off. LUCKY ME!!! Holy crap! It was an experience of a lifetime! Next time I will have a 45 with me for defense! My Father said long ago that "Quantity Time gives you Quality Experiences in the Woods". That is SO true! This was an awesome but scary experience. It's totally different staring something in the face that can kill and eat you. Awesome experience that I will never forget.This is basically what he looked like 3 yards away:
http://www.macecanada.com/grizzly/madgrizzlybeara.jpg (Ok, maybe he didn't look that scary, but I was scared none the less)
I'm grateful to be alive to tell this story!!!!!








3 comments:
Holy Crap I would have pooped my pants!!! You guys are nuts! We're glad you are alive to tell the story too! I told Derick he is definitely not allowed to go hunting with you now! =)
Wow, I can't believe that you were that close to a bear! I had Curt read your blog we really were scared for you! Scary, I'm glad you were ok!
Kalee you are going to think I am the BIGGEST NERD but I totally need your help. I tried to think I knew how to cut my own bangs....BIG MISTAKE!!! So...I wanted to see if I could make a haircut appointment with you sometime in the next few weeks and hopefully have you fix my very much struggling hair. If you don't want to you can totally say "no" and I won't feel bad at all. But if you do want to just let me know if you want me to come out to Tooele or if you are going to be up this way one day. Sorry I would have called you but my phone is dead so I will call you later. Have a great weekend.
Post a Comment